Monday, July 13, 2009

Allergy Return/Exchange Friendly Stores

For the person that literally needs to try products before you commit to "Surprise!!! Two weeks later you are allergic to it!" products.

Having a sensitivity to many skin products . . . well, for lack of a better fitting word, just plain SUCKS!

With some products my allergies to them are pretty obvious. I put them on and right away I feel burning, itching or a light swelling coming on. Most skincare companies and products nowadays are weary of sensitive skin, being eco-friendly and people's aversions to chemical ingredients. These products seem like they understand, they are here for you, they will do their very best to soothe and heal your skin troubles. They are sneaky!

To some people with average skin sensitivity, these are all great promises which for the most part are fulfilled. But for people like me, it really just means that now I have to filter through all the sweet talk and empty promises that these products whisper so softly into my ear. They are all the things they say at first try but two weeks later they start to turn. I notice a little redness at first, then the slight itching.

I'm in denial at first. Maybe it was something I ate. Maybe the wind picked up some pollen, or dust, or a near by animal's dander and blew it into my face. I've got to be sunburned, right?

Here is where I never learn:
I go back and look at my little corner of products. I look at the new ones like they have betrayed me. I read the labels like a prosecutor. Then if the products had really great reviews or were really expensive, I'm hesitant, but I just can't bear to think that I'm out another twenty or thirty maybe even fifty bucks! So, I give them another shot. Then, one day I look in the mirror and my face is flaking off, breaking out and a full on itch takes over. LIES! You never really knew how sensitive I was and you didn't really care!

RETURN! RETURN! RETURN!
But how many days has it been? What is the return policy? Shoot, where is the receipt? I'm screwed aren't I?

In this day in age, it's all about "natural," holistic and organic but does this mean that the bubble girls and guys of the world can roam freely and purchase everything that claims to be healing, soothing and dermatologist recommended? NO! big fat in my red, itchy face NO!

You spend all this time and money only to find out week after purchasing numerous products, weeks or even months later, you are allergic to them! Oh the injustice of the 14 or 30 day, unused/unopened return policy! After years of this love/hate relationship with my lovely bottles of broken promises and unexpected life long friendships, I have found some stores whose isles offer a kind of haven that makes me feel safe to try things out casually. Just maybe this casual fling will turn into a great relationship and if not, we knew before hand what sort of non-commitment we are making here.

Whole Foods Market Click the link for a location near you.

Info. from company website:

"Why pay more for exceptional quality vitamins and skin care products? Most of the prices of conventional industry products sold in department stores and pharmacies reflect the advertising dollars poured into the promotion of the products. Many of these products are created using ingredients and standards Whole Foods Market is strictly against, no animal testing, no artificial colors, preservatives, and fragrances.

That's why many of the products on Whole Body's shelves may not be recognizable but that is because they put the money where it should be, into the product! "

"Our Body Care products are made clean and exceptionally well made. Again, a Whole Body Team Member will be happy to find the skin care product that is right for you and if you are not happy with your purchase we will be happy to refund your money or issue you a store credit for your return."

This is true! Anytime I go to my neighborhood Whole Foods I am greeted by a friendly, informative, patient sales person. The people that work in their skincare section are always there and if you only work this one section you are going to have to be good at it - these guys are! They deal with really picky, well informed customers that know what they want out for these "clean" products on a daily basis. They even have testers for most of their skin products to you can try them on the inner part of your arm/elbow and walk around the store to see if you get any initial irritation to the product!

I have never ever had a problem returning a product that I was unhappy with or allergic to. No questions asked really. So I am happy to say go! Roam the aisles and ask some questions. heck! Go ahead and buy a couple of things why don't you. You will not be disappointed at the very least with the return policy.

Sephora Stores
Click on the link for a location near you.
I love Sephora. Like Whole Foods they have samples and testers of skincare and makeup products for you to try in store. While I can't vouch for all the natural product lines, I have never had a problem with returns whether it was after one week or even five weeks. No guilt. No questions. I returned a cleanser that was supposed to be really gentle after using more than a quarter of the product because I realized it wasn't for me after 6 weeks. Yay! I'm a little more careful with this store because the products are pretty pricey sometimes, especially the "natural" stuff. Check out their return policies on Sephora.com.





Nordstroms

Famous for their wonderful return policies. Check www.nordstrom.com for the specifics! Time and time again I buy, I try and if I happen to be allergic or unhappy with the product, I return and without so much as a wink and my credit or cash is back in my pocket.

The staff in the Beauty section should be happy to give you little samples of whatever skincare products you might want to try at home. I just stopped by for some new foundation samples from the Dior, and Laura Mercier Lines. The girls were really helpful and knowledgeable.

Love this place. With prices up the wazoo, I would never take a chance with a place that does not cater to the happiness of their customers with a good return policy.

If you have any comments/questions or know of any other store or websites that offer similar return policies, please share! Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment