Monday, July 13, 2009

Sensitive Scalp - Go'n Brush Your Shoulders Off No More!

I have had itchy scalp since I can remember, but getting into my twenties I was really into the hair dying, heat curling/straightening, and styling products. I started to develop this irritated, itchy, flaky scalp. Occasionally, I even had eczema patches on my scalp! It was really embarrassing having to check my mirror for flakes on my clothes and in my hair. For a good long time I just tied my hair back really tight everyday. Somehow I didn't realize that I was just allergic to all the hair products I've been using.

DUH!
If your face and the rest of your body is even a little sensitive to regular products and even the sun, chances are so is your scalp. With all the fragrances and chemicals put into hair care products, no wonder everyone is dusting their shoulders off - not cause you're feelin' like a pimp but because shoot, you got some white, flaky goodness on those shoulders!

Not a thing for me anymore. Ever since I have started using natural lightly or unscented products in my hair/scalp I haven't had to deal with the shoulder snow! A huge plus to these products are they can be found in Vitamin Shoppes as well as your neighborhood Wholefoods or at your online shops. They are not as cheap as the drugstore products but are very reasonably priced when you think about all the money you spend on the salon quality products not to mention the comfort and confidence boost of not having to constantly brush your shoulders off, it is well worth it!

Products that I am currently using:


Fragrance Free for Sensitive Hair and Scalp

Ingredients: Water, Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Wheat Germ Amidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate

I really like this product! I am probably on my tenth bottle or more :) It lathers well and really leaves my hair feeling clean without drying it out. I have really thick, frizzy, course hair the majority of it being fairly straight with some random wavy patches. So, I tend to use more of the conditioner than the shampoo so I usually get two Conditioner bottles to one Shampoo Bottle every time I purchase these. My hair is soft, manageable and shiny, never weighed down. Even with all the conditioner I like to load it up with, it always rinses clean and is never greasy.

The scent of these products isn't the raw clinical fragrance free scent which some people say get funky if stored for a long time. Even though there isn't an obvious scent to it, somehow it is still very pleasant when you actually apply it. The Conditioner has more of an almondy scent to it. My husband always tells me my hair smells good but when I ask him what it smells like, he says it doesn't smell like anything, just good and clean. Ha ha!


Bottom line: Not too pricey at $5 to $7, these products have never irritated my scalp, are good for my hair and smell like good nothing-ness. Highly recommended.

Free of Parabens, harsh chemicals, dyes, and fragrance.

Ingredients: Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Gel (Aloe Vera), Sodium Myreth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis Extract (Clary Sage), Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract (Brown Algae), Cetrimonium Chloride, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium PCA, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate

At first I loved this shampoo, I even re-purchased it multiple times. The Shampoo really lathers well and rinses incredibly clean.

These Products are truly unscented and are just straight forward products that do what they say they are going to do. This is what I love about the Jason brand! They are a really great no BS natural company that created great products at affordable prices.

The problem I had with this product is, after a couple of months it really started to dry and dull my hair. I think because of my hair type it just wasn't working for me. None the less, it is a pretty good option if your scalp is sensitive but you have more of an oily hair type.

Bottom Line: Great Brand, Great product, just not for me. If you have a sensitive scalp but an oily hair type this could do great things for you.


Cyclomethicone, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Dimethicone, Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Octylmethoxycinnamate

This stuff is great! It's a clear, lightly scented serum. You literally need just a couple of drops. I warm the product up by rubbing it together in the palm of my hands, start at the ends of my do and work my way up. It gives my thick black/brown hair that extra shine that I am always looking for. I use it on damp hair to tame frizzies and just generally smooth out the texture of it. I also use it after straightening or curling my hair. Beware: A little really goes a long way and if you use too much it will make your hair look oily. It really is gentle enough that I can wear it all day long and it never causes any breakouts or rashes on my face and scalp. But because it does have a scent to it, I usually wash my hair before bed whenever I use it just because I am a super crazy sensitive paranoid person. When I have slept with this product in my hair after a late night, I'm usually okay in the morning.

Bottom Line: Even though it has a light fragrance to it, it's gentle. It works as well as any salon quality product that I've tried but with a more wallet friendly price and no harsh ingredients.

Wicked Wax Styling Pomade By Giovanni Organic Hair Care

Ingredients: Aqua with Rosmarinus Officinalis, Urtica Dioica, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia, Papaver Orientale, Rosa Canina, Ceteareth-25, Glycerin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Panthenol, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Fragrance with Essential Oils

January this year I went from thick, black ,straight-ish hair down my back to an asymmetrical bob that ended just below my chin. I just had to chop chop chop it all off!

I found that although long hair is a pain to straighten or curl, I didn't need too much product to make it look good. This trendy bob was in my faceall the time! With all the weight of the length gone, I had even more flyaways. I needed to find a gentle enough product that I could wear close to my face safely and I really wanted this piecey, edgy look.

This product did it all! You only need to use a very small amount and it takes care of any flyaways, adds shine, separation and gives hair a piecey, cool look! The scent isn't pretty but pleasant and light, which makes it great for guys with the piecey messy do or the faux/mo-hawk look. It also has great hold! And . . . and it says it's organic!

It comes in a little tub that has a non-fussy top that you could just pop open - no screwing with sticky hands with this packaging!

As far as being gentle enough for me, I have never notices any direct irritation from it.
To be honest, I only use this when I dress to impress. When I have an allergy attack to anything else, I don't put on any hair styling products just to be extra careful. I always wash my hair before bed with this product. The scent although light, is still a scent. After having it on all day, it does bother me. The waxy-ness is great for the style I'm trying to achieve but too greasy for me to sleep in.

Bottom Line: Recommended. Although gentle, it is not an everyday product for me just because of the scent. As far as styling: It's one of the best waxes I have ever used - way better than anything I've purchased in a Walmart, Target or drugstore and pretty comparable to a
Schwarzkopf Osis Wax It Shine Wax product I used to use. At half the price it's a steal!


Remember: What doesn't work/works for me may have an opposite effect on you. Everyone's allergies and sensitivities are different.

Good Luck and Thanks for Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment